The Year of the Black Woman



2018 has been and is the year of the Black woman. There is no arguing this. No debating this. This is a fact. In fact, you could try to debate this with me about this and you will find that I would be winning the debate. I thought this to myself at the start of this year and I can’t remember exactly why, but as August begins, I only feel stronger about my claim. These past months has provided me with so much evidence to support my statement.
In no way am I trying to slight women of other races, I am simply uplifting black women. Women who look like me. Women who identify the way I do. When 2018 began, I had a feeling that this particular demographic, black women, would reach new heights. My theory was proved true, literally, when Therese Patricia Okoumou, a black immigrant woman, climbed The Statue of Liberty on Independence Day, to protest immigrant children being torn away from their parents. Upon her release, she wore a black t-shirt that read “White Supremacy is Terrorism.” Okoumou also referenced First Lady Michelle Obama (another black woman) and was quoted saying, “When others go low, we go high. And I went as high as I could.” Therese Patricia Okoumou demonstrated such remarkable and actual strength by standing up to the government and standing up for what is right. She is just one example of many that I will list while explaining my sentiment. Several black women have made it an incredible year so far and 2018 is nowhere near over.
Another black woman who has made headlines this summer is Democratic Representative Maxine Waters, commonly referred to as Auntie Maxine, by the younger crowd. She’s known for being very meme-able and has blessed us with the memorable, my personal favorite, “Reclaiming my time!” Maxine Waters is also known for being very outspoken and speaking out against the current president. When he was first elected, she boycotted his inauguration and told MSNBC that she didn’t honor him and didn’t respect him. Auntie Maxine most recently was in the news for an argument about “civility,” when she encouraged her supporters to confront and shame Trump administration about the separating of immigrant families. When asked about this Maxine Waters read a list all the times Trump has called for violence. It was reported that Waters had received credible death threats and could not travel to Alabama or Texas for events that she was scheduled to attend. When Maxine Waters took to a stage in Los Angeles, she exclaimed, “If you shoot me, you better shoot straight.” Such a fierce and fearless statement, coming out of a woman that’s 79 years old. The fight that she still has inside of her at that age is admirable and inspiring.
A small step away from politics, to someone who has been a prominent figure in the music business, and to black women and girls, since she was about 16 years old. The one and only, living legend, Beyoncé. Before going on tour with her husband Jay Z, for the On the Run II tour and releasing their joint album Everything is Love, she was the first black woman to headline the popular music festival, Coachella. In the words of Queen Bey herself, “Ain’t that bout a bitch?” The first weekend’s performance was live streamed on YouTube, where people from all over the world tuned in to watch her take the stage. The show was started by a young, black woman drummer and when the camera pans to Beyoncé, her presence demands your attention. Her walk is authoritative and hypnotizing. On her cape was Queen Nefertiti along with other images embroidered on. She brought with her a line of dancers, most of whom, if not all, were black women. Beyoncé paid tribute to historically black colleges and universities with a band, and an orchestra (if I’m not mistaken) with members who were black women. The Queen sang Lift Ev’ry Voice, the black national anthem, and warmed my heart. She was being her blackest self for a crowd that was predominantly white. Tina Lawson, Bey’s mom, admitted that she feared this audience “would be confused by all of the black culture and black college culture because it was something they might not get.” She went on to say that Beyoncé responded saying, “I have worked very hard to get to the point where I have a true voice, and at this point in my life and my career, I have a responsibility to do what’s best for the world and not what’s most popular.” Mama Tina added that her eldest daughter, hoped that after the show, young people would research this culture and see how cool it is.” I was glad that Tina shared this information with us because it showed that Beyoncé performed her truth. With songs from the beginning of her career and bringing out Destiny’s Child and her sister, Solange Knowles, it was one of my favorite black women moments of the year. Beyoncé’s performance was so precise but seemed effortless. It was truly amazing.
It’s also has been a year for other black women in music. Ella Mai had the song of the summer with Boo’d Up. In addition to that, several female rappers have touched the scene this year.. Miami’s rap duo, City Girls dropped PERIOD, one of my favorite albums of the year. Asian Doll was signed to Gucci Mane’s label. Rico Nasty’s album, Nasty, has been widely accepted. Saweetie, dropped her High Maintenance EP, that gave girls confidence and attitude. Tierra Whack gave us 15 songs in 15 minutes with her project, Whack World. On the R&B scene Ari Lennox is back with a new single, Whipped Cream. There are so many more but those are some of the black women that have caught my attention. Black women of all shades, from different backgrounds, from different places, making music of different styles and genres, but collectively taking over the streaming services and charts.
I couldn’t possibly talk about black women and not mention the greatest athlete of all time, Serena Williams. She lost the Wimbledon Final but her getting there, was a feat in itself. It was her first time back on the tennis court since giving birth to her beautiful daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian, Jr. Upon her return she had a world ranking of 183 and was seeded 25 for Wimbledon. Serena managed to beat all of her competition and storm to the final match. After her loss, she to was interviewed and she said, “I’m really happy to get this far. It’s obviously disappointing but I can’t be disappointed. I have so much to look forward to, you know, I’m literally just getting started. I’m looking forward to it.” The new mom also took time to dedicate her performance to other mothers, saying, “To all the moms out there, I was playing for you today and I tried.” I’d just like to take a minute to applaud Serena for being so real. She tried and she put her heart on the tennis court and gave her all. She’s playing for black women and (working) mothers all over the world and showing us all that it is possible. Serena Williams is the GOAT.
In an entirely different sport, Aja Wilson, was the number 1 overall draft pick in the 2018 WNBA Draft, selected by the Las Vegas Aces. She’s also a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, the first sorority established by African American college women. She is stunning and listed at 6’5. Versus the Indiana Fever, Wilson was the second rookie ever to score 35 points with 10 rebounds. Aja Wilson also spoke up about the disparities between the way of men in the NBA women in the WNBA were paid. She was the first to discuss this on Twitter and she had several of her colleagues talking about it as well. The gender pay gap is a serious issue and I salute Aja who spoke up about it and sparking the conversation.
If you’re still reading this, being a black woman is such an integral part of my identity. My identity is something that I am very proud of. I am a black woman and I am surrounded by some of the most amazing black women. Those who have been having quite a year for themselves. In February, large blood clots were found in my mother's lungs. It was such a scary experience, but the following months revealed that she is a soldier and with God and the help of several doctors, she’s battling them. My best friends graduated college, which is a huge accomplishment and I hope they’re reading this, understanding that I am incredibly proud of them and that it is truly a remarkable achievement. I celebrate all of their successes, whether they be small or large. I urge you to do the same with the black women in your life.
Whether it’s a normal person protesting peacefully or a politician speaking out against the president publicly, or Beyoncé shutting down Coachella or Rihanna turning heads at the Met Gala. This year has been wonderful for black women all around. I’m glad to be witnessing such greatness in all fields. I encourage all of you women, but black women especially, to live your truth. Be “unapologetically black,” be fearless and fierce, relentless and outspoken. Speak with confidence and conviction. If you’re a black woman, own the rest of the year. Make it count. Make it yours. This year is ours completely. I’m claiming the years to come as well.

We ain’t taking no L’s and if we do, we got a whole lot of W’s to make up for it ;)
(I had visuals for you all but I'm still learning how to work this site lol. Next post, I'll be better for sure!)


Comments

  1. I’ll Give you a hug and kiss if I was near you right now B. Beautifully laid out I respect it.

    Black women are GOLDEN



    •• Marquiss

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Heavenly Meeting With my Angelic Grandmother

The Importance of Friendship Between Black Women and Their Depictions in Media